Potatoes are packed full of important vitamins and minerals and are a great, low fat energy source for growing children.
There are lots of fabulous recipes using potatoes, here are just a few ideas to give you some inspiration, once you have harvested your crops.
We have also included some video demonstrations and information sheets to help develop core skills in preparing and cooking potatoes.
Why not show us your potato creations on FaceBook or Twitter and maybe get some inspiration from other schools who have shared too.
The Eatwell Guide is the UK Government’s healthy eating model and advises the following:
- Potatoes are in the food group ‘Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and other starchy carbohydrates’
- Starchy foods are a good source of energy and the main source of a range of nutrients in our diets
- We should eat some starchy foods each day as part of a healthy, balanced diet
- Starchy foods should make up just over one-third of the food we eat
- Base meals on potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates – choose wholegrain where possible and eat potatoes with their skin on for more fibre